Thursday, November 13, 2008

Earthquakes

Earthquakes here in Chimbote have been a regular occurrence the last couple of weeks. We´ve felt little rumbles, to long rumbles to, quite nerve wrecking shaking. Well, for the past 2 DAYS and NIGHTS we´ve been on alert for a BIG earthquake...you know one that´s bigger that a ricter scale 7, one that knocks down houses and buildings. So, we finally got our act together and put together an emergency bag. Its not anything too fancy, but its got the basic needs. Snacks, water, change of clothes, toothbrushes, toilet paper, flashlight, matches, medicine, first aid kit, money, etc. You know the stuff that you would have to have if something happened for a couple of days. I really feel much better having something prepared. Just in case. Now, I´m not a fanatic. My brother and sister in law have slept in their clothes...shoes on and everything just in case they have to leave the house running. I put shoes by the door to grab if we needed to leave quickly, but come on. I´ve gotta sleep and I can´t live my life scared all the time. I know we should be on the alert and all, but lets not be too extreme.

Plus, when we heard about the warning we said a prayer and we both felt better. We felt like we needed to pack an emergency bag...just in case, but that everything would be ok. I love prayers! 2 nights ago we went to my mother-in-law´s house and we both slept in the kitchen on a twin size mattress. Now when they say a twin size mattress is meant for one person...it is definately true. 2 people just don´t fit on it comfortable for an entire night´s rest. Then, last night we took turns of staying awake. One would sleep 1-2 hours while the other one stayed awake just in case a big earthquake came and we had to leave the house quickly. Well, needless to say we woke up exhausted. Tonight I´m sleeping on a normal schedule, earthquake warning or not. The good thing is that we haven´t had an earthquake and everybody is safe and sound.

I feel really blessed. You know everybody complains that they are losing sleep and sleeping in tents and uncomfortable because of a possible earthquake, but you gotta look on the bright side. There hasn´t been a big earthquake and everybody is ok. Everybody would be really really uncomfortable if there was a big earthquake and their houses were destroyed. Count your blessings. Anyways, that´s enough babbling from me. Maybe I´m just soooo tired I just keep babbling. Happy blogging and have a great day!

2 comments:

Amy said...

holy cow that's way scary! You'd think with technology they could give you a good warning, like with the sirens here. But maybe they don't have that set up in Peru. Well I'm glad you are safe and hope you get a better nights rest!

Sarah Hastings said...

Good luck with that! I hear California has been awaiting an earthquake that size as well but havent gotten it yet. I am glad you have gotten prepared, I really think the Lord protects us when we are prepared.