Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Post Office

Ok, so must I say overseas customs and post office requirements are ridiculous! Ok, so my family sent me a package. Cool, huh?!?! Certified and everything. Got there great. Thanks! I told them to put my mother-in-law´s name on the package because her address is more reliable. Well, lo and behold its not as simple as just going to the post office and picking up the package. 1. We got there and had to make copies of her id card. 2. Wait for about 30 minutes until they call your name. 3. They had to know how "Brian Taylor" was related to my mother-in-law. Luckily, I was with her and could clear that one up. He´s my brother and she´s my mother-in-law. 4. Here´s the kicker. My mother-in-law´s id card had expired...4 months ago! She didn´t realize it expired because she used it for everything else. So, what did we have to do? 5. Go to the National Bank of Peru...pay a fee 6. Take photos (passport size) 7. Wait for them to be developed 8. Go to Reneic (the legalization gov´t place) to start the process of a new id card 9. Go back to the post office before 12:30pm 10. Then, my mom sent some vitamins that I had asked for...one problem...there they consider it medicine. So send medicine over seas you have to have a prescription in the box or in your hand. 11. Well, after she signed what seemed to be 20 papers and explaining the entire reason and what the situation was they finally gave it to her. 12. The guy in the post office said that the next time you send something overseas through certified mail...when it asks for a description of what´s inside...just put "presents". Otherwise there´s a heck of a lot of problems. Anyways, I´m very very grateful for the package. Now, we know the entire process and whats best and whats worse. It was kinda a crazy round about but in the end everything turned out fine!

5 comments:

Amy said...

holy crap that sounds like crazy and really annoying! I would have been yelling at someone for having to wait for 30 minutes!
I shoulda told you about the tip. Every time I sent preston a package over there - it had to go thru customs - I put magazines, books and snacks. And checked the "gift" box!
At least they let you keep your stuff!

Amber Hooten said...

Wow! Sounds like a frustrating day! I am sure living in a 3rd world country has given you a greater insight and appreciation for living in the U.S.

Sarah Hastings said...

What a pain! I am glad it all worked out anyway.

Brian said...

You're welcome :)

Scott Blog said...

Wow! What a crazy day for you and your mother-in-law. I would have given up after I found out the ID expired!
Tina